Reyes

Overrated Things

I got into an argument about holidays being overrated with a friend. He actually got pissed at me and left my house. I was kind of laughing over it. I thought a general "overrated" thread can be good to talk about really anything in life that you feel is overrated. 

I'll start us off with saying drinking is vastly overrated. Sure, you can have a good time but it makes you feel like crap, make poor decisions, and it costs too much (unless you buy cheap alcohol which makes you even feel worse). I drink now and then but nothing like I used to. I just don't see the point. 

IMO whether something is overrated is subjective. I am a hardcore football fan (soccer to you) yet to people who aren't, football is overrated. 

7 hours ago, Benjo said:

yet to people who aren't, football is overrated. 

If anything, it's underrated.  

In the US, it's still growing, but having live broadcasts of the Premiere League does a lot to grow the audience here, especially when it's during the "slow" season for one of the US' Big Three (Football, Basketball, or Baseball).  I'm a casual fan, but I can drop into any game when it's on and enjoy it.

Now, if you want to talk "overrated" sports, let's turn our collective eye to the blight that is NASCAR... 

Edit: TV is not a good medium for NASCAR.  Live, motorsports are amazing in general, but the sense of speed and energy don't translate to tv very well for some reason.  

Edited by BropolloCreed79

I think festivals are overrated. Sure, the community feeling is great and you can experience some great moments with friends but holy sh*t is it EXPENSIVE. The camping grounds always get extremely dirty, people get smelly, sh*t gets stolen, etc. Also, it takes a massive toll on your body, partying multiple days in a row, drinking booze, staying in the sun for hours. Idk, I kinda stopped caring about them after visiting a few. Dunno why everyone is so into them.

I also really love sleeping in my own bed, so one-night kind of events are way more attractive to me.

Edited by Zhou

9 hours ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Fortnite. 😒

This to the moon and back. I played it. I tried to get into it. It is alright but the way people unzip their pants over the dang game astonishes me. It isn't anything mind-blowing and in comparison to other online games out there, it is hardly a 6/10. 

22 hours ago, Freddie Mercury said:

Beyonce.

I would like to add Rihanna to this. Both of them are vastly overrated. Thier songs are repetitive and mostly trashy. Maybe it is just me but hip hop and r&b just isn't the same anymore, especially when it comes to the women. Give me No Scrubs any day over this current garbage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YellowDragon said:

I would like to add Rihanna to this. Both of them are vastly overrated. Thier songs are repetitive and mostly trashy. Maybe it is just me but hip hop and r&b just isn't the same anymore, especially when it comes to the women. Give me No Scrubs any day over this current garbage. 

Don't forget about Nicki Minaj and her new album named "Queen"...

On 8/13/2018 at 4:03 PM, Freddie Mercury said:

Beyonce.

18 hours ago, YellowDragon said:

Rihanna

16 hours ago, Freddie Mercury said:

Nicki Minaj

Can't we just go ahead and say most newer "artists"...? They're popular for 1 song for a while, then they're only popular because of the dumb sh*t they do to stay relevant... Hell, I'd go ahead and say 95% of the entertainment industry as a whole.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Truth said:

Can't we just go ahead and say most newer "artists"...? They're popular for 1 song for a while, then they're only popular because of the dumb sh*t they do to stay relevant... Hell, I'd go ahead and say 95% of the entertainment industry as a whole.

Totally agree. Everyone liked "All the Single Ladies," "Umbrella," and  . . . whatever the hell Nicki Minaj sang. Moving on. Next!

Sorry if I just sound like an old-fart Gen-X'er ('cause I am), but what happened to performers like Lionel Richie, Elton John, David Bowie, Billy Joel -- hell, even Neil Diamond? These guys SANG WHAT THEY WROTE, and kept crankin' out the great music. 

Where is that these days??

6 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Where is that these days??

Long gone... They don't get popular enough to be mainstream, so they just fade away.

34 minutes ago, Truth said:

Long gone... They don't get popular enough to be mainstream, so they just fade away.

So true, in today's society. It doesn't matter how talented you are, if you're not "relevant" or if you don't have a "trendy" look. Nobody gives a sh*t about you and what you do.

It's kinda sad to think about...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Freddie Mercury said:

So true, in today's society. It doesn't matter how talented you are, if you're not "relevant" or if you don't have a "trendy" look. Nobody gives a sh*t about you and what you do.

That's why people need to support their local bands. Tons of talent can be found there, but chances are you'll never hear them on the radio or see them really make it. Makes it really easy to just quit (regardless of how talented you are) when nobody shows up to see you play.

55 minutes ago, Freddie Mercury said:

Apologies for neglecting to add @Freddie Mercury to that list. The man was an icon.

14 minutes ago, Truth said:

That's why people need to support their local bands. Tons of talent can be found there, but chances are you'll never hear them on the radio or see them really make it. Makes it really easy to just quit (regardless of how talented you are) when nobody shows up to see you play.

Wish I could, but unfortunately. They're no local bands in my town that are actually good, they're either bad or just mediocre.

Edited by Freddie Mercury

2 minutes ago, Cokeyskunk said:

Apologies for neglecting to add Freddie Mercury to that list. The man was an icon.

Haha, it's alright. No apology needed Cokey.

Edited by Freddie Mercury